In December, along with Little Miss A's Gingerbread House advent calendar that can be filled up each year (last year it was money, this year chocolate!), I decided to do a Book Advent Calendar as an alternative countdown to Christmas.
We already had a handful of 'Christmas' related books, but over the last year, we've been keeping our eyes out for more books in charity shops and car boot sales. So we've not spent any more than £1 on each book. There are a few brand new books in the pile, but these were kindly donated by my Mum!
Here's the 24 books that made up the Advent Calendar:
- - Harry and the Dinosaurs Make a Christmas Wish by Ian Whybrow and Adrian Reynolds
- - A Message for Santa by Hiawyn Oram and Tony Ross
- - Stick Man by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
- - Father Christmas Needs a Wee! by Nicholas Allan
- - That's not my snowman... by Fiona Watts and Rachel Wells
- - Mr Christmas - Sound Book and Book by Roger Hargreaves
- - A Night Before Christmas Pop-up Story
- - Baby's Christmas by Francesca Allen, Felicity Brooks and Rachel Wells
- - A Present for Piglet
- - Mog's Christmas Calamity by Judith Kerr
- - The Very Smiley Snowman by Jack Tickle
- - The Magic Little Sleigh by Anna Claybourne and Jo Moon
- - Thomas & Friends - The Snowy Special. Based on The Railway Series by the Rev. W. Awdry
- - Maisy's Christmas Eve by Lucy Cousins
- - Santa is Coming to Aylesbury by Steve Smallman and Robert Dunn
- - Usborne Farmyard Tales - Christmas Jigsaw Book by Heather Amery and Stephen Cartwright
- - A Magical Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
- - That's not my santa... by Fiona Watts and Rachel Wells
- - My Christmas Stocking by Nancy Parent and Adam Devaney
- - That's not my reindeer... by Fiona Watts and Rachel Wells
- - Santa's Suitcase by Kate Lee and Edward Eaves
- - The Snowman - Picture Book and CD Set by Raymond Briggs
- - Reindeer by Sue Reeves
- - My First Nativity - A Book and Nativity Set by Rod Campbell
We plan to recycle the books for a few years, just replacing a few each time when she's outgrown them.
The Book Advent Calendar actually proved more popular than the chocolate one with Little Miss A and reading each book definitely took more time than devouring a choccie each day! We re-read lots of the books over the course of the month. The favourites were Father Christmas Needs A Wee! (maybe because Little Miss A is just starting to use the potty so we talk about 'wee' A LOT!) and also the Stick Man (which was great as she was then familiar with the story before the new animation was shown on the TV on Christmas Day).
share this on »